A week or so ago I hit a road bump on a new design I've been working on. An hour before I had to leave for knit night I was in need of a sangria friendly project because my stalled lace shawl design definitely wasn't coming with me. Six skeins of Cashmerino Worsted in Spirit was staring at me from across the room, asking to be cast on. I specially dyed this yarn for myself with a future sweater in mind so why not now I thought? I've had Cozy [me] in the queue for awhile now, as well as a desire to knit myself a couple sweaters to wear later this year. So with some amazing sangria in hand I cast on. And I'm so glad I did.
This sweater has been an incredibly enjoyable knit so far. The little bit of lace on either side makes the stockinette back a lot less monotonous. I've made a few mods to the pattern, mainly altering the slant of the decreases that form the top of the diamonds. Rather than knitting all of the decreases as knit 2 together (right slant), I changed half of them to purl 2 together through back loop (left slant). I'm really happy with this decision as it makes the diamonds pop a lot more evenly than in the original pattern, making for a cleaner finish. The only tricky part is that you have to reverse which stitches you are altering on the left front of the sweater. The chart is read backwards for the left front anyways, so that's a good reminder. Eventually it becomes intuitive which decrease to use when once the diamond pattern has been established.
I have a bit more of the body left to knit, and I've already started the decreases for the v-neck. Right now I'm wondering if I should add a bit of waist shaping or not, but I should probably block what I have so far before making any adjustments.
As for that design I've been avoiding, I think I've finally decided on how to finish it off. It's a pretty heavy lace pattern to begin with and I really dodn't want the border to clash with the strong lines in the shawl. It's also asymmetrical so there's that to throw into the mix. I should have it done this weekend (I hope) and sent out to the test knitters sometime next week. I can't wait to share it with you all later this year!